How to pay toll?
EZDriveMA, the Massachusetts electronic tolling program, operates without toll booths, barriers or gates. Tollguru Trip Calculator calculates tolls for E-ZPass and Pay By Plate MA Invoice since it does not take toll discounts into account. You can use one of the four toll payment methods.
- E-ZPass MA – A pre-paid transponder (tag) based option with discounted tolls
- E-ZPass – A pre-paid transponder (tag) issued by an agency from another state
- Pay By Plate MA Registered – A license plate based account option
- Pay By Plate MA Invoice – A license plate based invoice option
Since there are no manned toll booths or unmanned barriers, you cannot pay using cash.
Toll Payment options for visitors
If you are visiting Massachusetts and plan to drive, it is likely that you will have to pay tolls. As all the toll facilities in Massachusetts are All Electronic Tolling, you would not be able to pay tolls with cash there. One option would be to pay tolls later using Pay By Plate MA Invoice. But if you wish to avoid receiving invoice, you have three options:
1. E-ZPass MA: Though different states have their own E-ZPass, E-ZPass tag transponders purchased from any one state is accepted across following states. Therefore, if you already have a E-ZPass from any of these states, you are good to go.
|Illinois||Maryland||New York||Rhode Island|
|Kentucky||New Hampshire||Ohio||West Virginia|
But if do not have E-ZPass tag from other state, you would need to apply for E-ZPass MA. To get a regular E-ZPass transponder, USA registered vehicle license plate number is required. Here is the link to register for E-ZPass MA. Tourists, who rent a car, have just the option to use rental car's license plate if the rental agency allows. Therefore, you need to first check with your car rental agency if they release their rental car's license plate to renter's for getting E-ZPass. In simple words, you need to check if they will let you use the rental car's license plate for registering for E-ZPass. If yes, then you would need to register for E-ZPass MA in advance to your trip and get the tag transponder delivered to your address. Here is the link to register for E-ZPass.
2. On The Go (OTG) transponder: If you live in Massachusetts and need a transponder immediately or plan to travel to Massachusetts, or have rented a car, OTG transponder can be a good option. OTG transponder can be picked from the retailer locations in Massachusetts Only. To get transponder in person, you can either visit EZDriveMA Customer Service Centers or it's partner locations.The transponder is not registered to you until you either open an E-ZPass MA account or register the transponder to an existing E-ZPass MA account. Until OTG transponder is registered to an E-ZPass MA account, certain restrictions and limitations apply. Please note that following are important factors to consider before you plan to buy OTG Transponder:
- The transponder is for use only on two-axle, four tire vehicles with passenger plates – commercial vehicles are not allowed to use OTG transponders.
- The OTG transponder is only valid on Massachusetts toll roads. To use it in other states, you would need to register it to an E-ZPass MA account. if not registered to an account, use of the transponder in another state could result in you receiving violations.
- If for any reason the OTG transponder does not read correctly in Massachusetts toll lanes, a picture of your license plate will be captured and you will be mailed a Pay By Plate invoice.
- If you open a Private Individual E-ZPass MA account at one of their Partner locations you must: i) Wait 30 minutes to use your transponder in Massachusetts & ii) Wait 3 more business days before your transponder will be accepted out of state on E- ZPass toll roads.
Don't have a tag transponder? Try Peasy.
3. Peasy's multi-state, pay-as-you-go tolling service makes paying for tolls simpler than ever. Enroll now for coverage across the U.S. and eliminate fines, late penalties and having to pay by mail. Use the fast lane every time with no worries throughout Peasy's multi-state network.
4. PlatePass:PlatePass® is an electronic toll payment system that enables vehicle renters to use high-speed electronic toll collection lanes and bypass backups at cash lanes or pay tolls at booth where cash is not accepted. The PlatePass service enables you to avoid costly toll violation fines otherwise incurred if high-speed toll lanes are used without toll tag. Here are more details on using PlatePass® while traveling to northeast states. You will be charged the cash or pay-by-mail toll rate, whichever is higher, as published by the toll authority, plus a service fee per rental day to a weekly or monthly maximum. Therefore, though this is hassle-free option, it might turn out to be as costly or costlier than getting an E-ZPass® On-the-Go or opting for car rental agency's daily flat fee.
Therefore, depending on wheather you own a registered license plate or not, where do you plan to start your travel and how often you plan to use toll roads during your visit, you should choose toll payment option that suits you most. Again, the toll charges vary depending on peak/off-peak hours. Peak-hours toll charges are more than off-peak hours. Therefore please plan to have enough balance in your E-ZPass tag when you travel. Also, E-ZPass is cheaper than cash on the locations where both are accepted. You might be able to recoup the E-ZPass costs by not paying in cash and save all the hassle later in trying to pay tolls and toll facilitation charges.
How to pay missed tolls?
If you did not have a E-ZPass MA account or compatible E-ZPass from other states, you would be paying a higher toll fee (Invoice is sent to the license plate registered address). But if you were driving a rental car, you would not be able to pay the tolls directly to Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT). The invoices for missed tolls for rental cars are sent to the rental car company. Therefore, depending on rental car agencie's policies, you might have to pay toll charges to your rental company.
To know your options better, we suggest you to please reach out to Massachusetts Department of Transportation (MassDOT), the agency that manages tolls in Massachusetts, at (877) 627-7745 or email your query at email@example.com. There is option for live chat as well on their customer service page. Here is a link to MassDOT Customer Service.
If you wish to see toll costs at each toll plaza on the route that you traveled, we suggest you using Tollguru Trip Calculator. You can also download our free app from Google play store or the App Store. Both, our website calculator and apps, are totally free for all vehicles types.