Spain Toll Roads, Bridge, Tunnels and European Roads
Click on the map to open toll wiki for a country/state
Spain has the third largest motorway network in the world. There are mainly two types of roads in Spain.
- Autopistas - Autopistas are the toll roads in Spain starting with the letter AP. Many autopistas in Spain are free of toll charges because of less traffic density. Autopistas that connect major cities like Madrid, Barcelona, Bilbao levy tolls for road usage.
- Autovías - Autovías are the toll-free alternate routes.
You can pay tolls directly at the toll stations on the autopistas. Toll payments can be done using cash, credit cards, or using Via-T - an onboard unit that deducts tolls automatically. There are two toll tunnels on autopistas where you need to pay tolls for crossing the tunnels.
- Túnel del Cadí
- Túnels de Vallvidrera
How does toll system work in Spain
In Spain, there are two types of toll systems
- In the open system, a flat fee is paid at the toll station entrance. You can see this system on the following roads
- AP-7 Malaga - Estepona
- C-32, C-33 in Barcelona
- M-12, R-3, R-4 in Madrid
- In the closed system, you take a ticket at the entrance toll station of the autopista. Depending on distance travelled, tolls are paid at the exit toll station. Following autopistas implement this method to charge tolls.
- AP-2 Barcelona - Zaragoza
- AP-68 Bilbao - Zaragoza
- AP-9 Ferrol - Pontevedra
How much do tolls cost in Spain
Toll cost in Spain depends on:
- the distance travelled on the autopista
- territory of the autopista - Toll costs are higher for Autopistas around Madrid than Puxeiros region
- payment methods - If you have Via-T toll tag, you pay a lower toll than the amount * you pay with cash.
- Time of travel - On AP-41 Madrid - Toledo, you can travel toll-free between 12 am to 6am but you need to pay tolls if you travel during the rest of the day.
- Season of travel - AP-7 charges higher rates in June to September than the rest of the year.
- Vehicle category - Vehicles with double wheels on an axle (tandem wheels or dual wheels) are charged more than vehicles with single wheels.
|Autopistas||Car Toll costs with cash payment (in EUR)|
|AP-7, AP-2, C-32 - Barcelona to Valencia||€ 15.00|
|AP-7, AP-2 - Barcelona to Madrid||€ 30.70|
|AP-68 Madrid - Bilbao||€ 10.25|
You can use TollGuru trip calculator and ignore the complexities in toll costs. For a destination, you can mention the time of travel, vehicle category and get detailed information on toll rates and discounts if you use a toll tag.
How do you pay tolls in Spain
All vehicles - cars, Trucks, and HGVs - can pay tolls at the toll gates of the motorway. For users with Via-T on board units, dedicated lanes exist at every toll station. Tolls can be paid in
- Credit cards
- Via-T - an on board unit mounted on the windscreen of the vehicle
How do you pay truck tolls in Spain
Trucks, HGVs and vehicles which weigh over 3.5 tonnes pay at the toll gates of the motorways. You can pay the tolls with cash, credit cards or using Via-T OBU.
What is Via-T in Spain
Via-T is an on-board unit used in the electronic toll system implemented on all the Spanish toll roads. With Via-T equipped, you can travel through the toll lanes without stopping and tolls are deducted automatically. Toll stations have separate lanes for vehicles with Via-T. Readers mounted on the lanes deduct tolls automatically from the account. Via-T toll tag users also pay discounted rates on autopistas.
You can buy a Via-T from various selling-point locations across Portugal.
How to avoid tolls in Spain
You can avoid toll roads in Spain by taking the alternate Autovía routes. However, these routes can be slow with many trucks on them. Instead, you can use the TollGuru Spain calculator to get the cheapest alternate routes along with the detailed trip costs to decide based on your time value.
Toll info by city, motorways and toll roads
Toll tag information
How to calculate tolls in Europe
You can calculate tolls - distance based toll, close and open system, vignette - and fuel cost by car, truck (with or without a trailer), taxi, bus, caravans using Europe Toll Calculator. You can see the cheapest, the fastest, and other optimal routes to your destination. You will see toll plaza(s) on your route, payment methods for each toll gate, discounts, etc. You can specify vehicle attributes - axles, weight, height, emission standards, etc. - to get toll information customized to your vehicle.
Ride share, OEM, and other businesses can leverage toll intelligence by integrating with the Toll API for pre-trip cost estimation and post-trip toll reconciliation in Europe, Asia, South America, North America and Australia.
Which European countries have motorway tolls
Use Europe Toll Guide to know more about European Tolling Systems
You can click on a country name to know toll information - toll payments, toll gates, toll prices - for the country.