Sweden Toll Guide: Congestion Taxes, Bridge Tolls, Truck Tolls, Eurovignette
Click on the map to open toll wiki for a country/state
Sweden is a Scandinavian nation with thousands of coastal islands, inland lakes, vast boreal forests, and glaciated mountains. The major cities - eastern capital Stockholm, southwestern Gothenburg and Malmö - all lie on the coast.
[Insert map of Stockholm and Gothenburg roads subject to congestion tax]
There are two different road toll schemes in Sweden - Infrastructure charge and Congestion tax - applicable for both foreign-registered vehicles and Swedish vehicles.
- Congestion tax: The vehicles pay a surcharge during the peak demand. The congestion taxes apply in two cities: Stockholm and Gothenburg. The congestion tax in Stockholm and Gothenburg
- Is levied during daytime on weekdays
- But not on saturdays, sundays, public holidays, the day before a public holiday and in the month of July.
- Infrastructure charges are bridge tolls levied on bridges such as
- Motala and
- Sundsvall Bridge
Trucks weighing over 12 tons are required to use Eurovignettes when traveling through Sweden, Denmark, Luxembourg and the Netherlands.
Sweden’s congestion taxes
Congestion tax is charged during fixed hours for vehicles driving into and out of Gothenburg. The tax is not charged on public holidays, days before a public holiday, and in the month of July.
|Time||Amount ( SEK)|
Bridge tolls in Sweden
|Bridges||Passenger car, light truck and bus (in SEK)||Heavy trucks (in SEK)|
|Sundsvall Bridge||kr 9||kr 20|
|Motala Bridge||kr 5||kr 11|
How do I pay for tolls in Sweden
You need to pay tolls for your vehicle at the following toll facilities
- Oresundsbron bridge: You can pay tolls using
- Motala and Sundsvall Bridge: Payment notice is sent to the vehicle owner with the total amount charged for the previous calendar month. The fee must be transferred to the Swedish Transport Agency's account before the notice day. You can also pay via e-avi (e-invoice), direct debit and digital mailbox.
How do I pay congestion charge in Sweden
If your vehicle is registered in Sweden, you can pay congestion taxes using
- Direct debit ("autogiro"): You can sign up for direct debit using your online bank account. The congestion tax will be directly debited from your account.
- Electronic invoice ("e-faktura"): If you are using an online bank account via your Swedish bank you can sign up for an electronic invoice ("e-faktura").
- Payment slip: The Swedish Transport Agency will send out a payment slip to owners of vehicles registered in Sweden at the end of each month.
If your vehicle is registered abroad, you can pay congestion tax by registering for an Epass24 account .
Do you need a vignette for Sweden
Yes, commercial vehicles whose maximum permissible weight is over 12 tons need the electronic Eurovignette.
Truck tolls - Eurovignette
Along with [Denmark, Luxembourg, and Netherlands, Sweden also collects tolls for heavy goods vehicles (HGV) with maximum permissible weight above 12 tons through Eurovignette. The Eurovignette tariffs depend upon
- Number of axles
- Emission classes
- validity period
You can book your Eurovignette  for your trucks, accepted modes of payments are Credit cards and Fuel cards such as DKV, UTA, Multi-Service Tolls, and others.
|Emission group||1–3 axles in Euros||4 or more axles in Euros|
|Euro 6 or less||$750.00||$1.25|
Congestion charge exemptions
The vehicles exempted from congestion charges are diplomatic vehicles, emergency vehicles, military vehicles, buses, disabled persons vehicles, hybrid cars, electric cars and motorcycles.
Toll info by cities, toll roads and bridges
How to calculate tolls in Europe
You can calculate tolls - distance based toll, close and open system, vignette - and fuel cost by car, truck (with or without a trailer), taxi, bus, caravans using Europe Toll Calculator. You can see the cheapest, the fastest, and other optimal routes to your destination. You will see toll plaza(s) on your route, payment methods for each toll gate, discounts, etc. You can specify vehicle attributes - axles, weight, height, emission standards, etc. - to get toll information customized to your vehicle.
Ride share, OEM, and other businesses can leverage toll intelligence by integrating with the Toll API for pre-trip cost estimation and post-trip toll reconciliation in Europe, Asia, South America, North America and Australia.
Which European countries have motorway tolls
Use Europe Toll Guide to know more about European Tolling Systems
You can click on a country name to know toll information - toll payments, toll gates, toll prices - for the country.