Europe Toll Guide: Vignettes, Distance-based Tolls, Height, Axles, Emission Standard Tolls
Click on the map to open toll wiki for a country/state
Type of Tolling Systems
In Europe, tolls are levied using three types of tolling systems:
- Vignette - charged depending on the validity duration of the vignette. For vignette details, click this link
- Distance-based tolling System - Tolls are charged based on distance traveled on the toll road (in kilometer). To know details about distance-based tolling, click this link
- Physical toll plazas - Two types of using physical toll plazas:
- Barrier system or Open System: You pay a toll for your vehicle based on the vehicle category when you pass through a toll station. These toll stations typically charge a toll for a bridge or tunnel or for a shorter-distance toll road.
- Ticket system or Closed System: You pay a toll based on the entry and exit toll station combination of the motorway. Typically, a ticket is issued at the entry toll station point and the toll is collected at the exit toll station point. Toll rates are calculated based on the distance traveled on the motorway for your vehicle category.
How to pay tolls in Europe
In Europe tolls are collected using a variety of methods. To make it a bit confusing, some countries in Europe use a combination of all tolling systems. As you can see in Figure “Europe Tolling Systems - combination of tolling systems in Europe” below Germany has traditional toll roads, vignette-based tolls for cars, and distance-based tolls for trucks. Similarly, other European countries have combined toll systems.
Emission Standards in Europe
Many European countries charge a lower toll to eco-friendly vehicles based on the Emission Standard of the vehicle. To know more about European Emission Standards, click on this link.
Which European countries have motorway tolls
Use Europe Toll Guide to know more about European Tolling Systems
You can click on a country name to know toll information - toll payments, toll gates, toll prices - for the country.
How to calculate tolls in Europe
You can calculate tolls - distance based toll, close and open system, vignette - and fuel cost by car, truck (with or without a trailer), taxi, bus, caravans using Europe Toll Calculator. You can see the cheapest, the fastest, and other optimal routes to your destination. You will see toll plaza(s) on your route, payment methods for each toll gate, discounts, etc. You can specify vehicle attributes - axles, weight, height, emission standards, etc. - to get toll information customized to your vehicle.
Ride share, OEM, and other businesses can leverage toll intelligence by integrating with the Toll API for pre-trip cost estimation and post-trip toll reconciliation in Europe, Asia, South America, North America and Australia.