How to Pay Toll in Texas – TxTag, TollTag, EZ Tag, ZipCash and More
Click on the map to open toll wiki for a country/state
All drivers using the Texas toll facilities, including the out-of-state ones, must pay toll. You can pay toll using valid toll tags, cash and video tolling (post-trip) as well. But do note that not every payment method works on every plaza. The toll rates also vary depending on how you are paying the toll.
Toll tags are the preferred method to pay tolls in Texas as they offer the highest discount. You can use the following toll tags:
- TxTag- Issued by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) that allows users to zip through the toll lanes in Texas. You can purchase TxTag and it will be good for the whole of Texas at locations. There are bridges on the Mexico-Texas border that only accept cash.)
- TollTag- Similar to TxTag, this tag is issued by The North Texas Tollway Authority (NTTA) allowing motorists to pay tolls without stopping at toll booths.
- EZ TAG- Valid for all lanes of tolled roadways in Texas, this toll tag is issued by The Harris County Toll Road Authority (HCTRA) that accommodate electronic toll collection.
- PikePass- Primarily used for Oklahoma toll roads, this toll tag is also valid in Texas at the same rate as TxTag. It is also called PPAss.
- K-Tag- This is toll tag issued by the Kansas Turnpike Authority and is primarily used for Kansas toll facilities.
- NationalPass- A multi-protocol tag that considers user as a local customer of the toll roads and offers similar discounts.
Toll payment with cash in Texas
On some bridges and toll roads of Texas, cash is still accepted. Notably so on few toll plazas on Sam Houston Tollway.
Use Texas Toll Calculator, to see whether the toll plazas in your route accepts cash or not and how much is the rate.
What is Pay-By-Mail and ZipCash
Pay-By-Mail and ZipCash are video tolling system of Texas. Pay BY Mail is a program of TxDOT while ZipCash of NTTA. If you do not have a compatible tag in your vehicle, you will receive a bill to pay toll. The ZipCash toll and Pay By Mail tolls are higher and is only sent after a particular amount has accumulated. In addition, you may have to pay an additional fine for late payment.
If you do not have a valid tag while crossing toll plazas in Texas, you should receive a toll bill within a month (varies for different agencies and cases). You can pay the toll bill with cash, card or online banking as per the directions on the invoice. If you are sure to have used a toll facility without tags and haven't received a bill, it could be that your address with DMV is not updated. It's ideal to update your vehicle and personal information on DMV whenever there is a change.
Alternatively, you can visit the concerned toling agency's online toll payment portal, look for any due toll linked with your license plate and make payment. For any queries, get in touch with the tolling authority over call.
- North Texas Tollway Authority (TollTag) 1-972-818-6882
- Harris County Toll Road Authority (EZ TAG) 1-281-875-3279
- Central Texas Regional Mobility Authority 1-833-762-8655
- Kansas Turnpike Authority (K-TAG) 1-316-652-2650
- Oklahoma Turnpike Authority (PIKEPASS) 1-800-745-3727
What happens if you drive through a toll without paying in Texas
Main article: How to pay missed toll in Texas
When you drive through a toll in Texas without paying for it - invalid transponder, insufficient funds etc. - it is counted as a toll violation or missed toll. A toll invoice will be sent to the vehicle owner’s address. You can also check if you owe a toll in Texas online and pay for it.
Note that in the case of missed toll payment in Texas an administrative fee may apply. And if for frequent toll violators, it can be escalated to the toll collection agencies.
How do visitors pay toll in Texas
Visitors or those driving rental cars through Texas toll facilities can pay toll by either temporarily linking their toll tag with the rental’s license plate. Or they can opt for rental companies to take care of all toll billing.
In any case, we suggest clarifying with your car rental agency on how they handle tolls.
Calculate tolls for Texas and other states in the US
Calculate routes, tolls and fuel costs for your travel by car, truck, taxi, bus, caravans (with or without a trailer) in Texas and other states of the US using TollGuru Trip Calculator. It also shows the cheapest, fastest and other optimal routes to your destination along with toll plaza(s) location en route, payment methods and more.
Rideshare, OEM, TMS, fleet companies and other transport businesses can leverage toll intelligence by integrating with the TollGuru Toll API for pre-trip calculation and post-trip reconciliation.